Sacred Heart of Jesus so central, so unique, so irreplaceably important to the church and for each one of us. When we share our deepest feelings with each other we often have a “heart to heart” conversation. These conversations are essential in starting new relationships and maintaining them.hy is the devotion of the
The word ‘Heart’ is used more than eight hundred times in the bible and it means more than a passing sentiment or feeling. Every time the word heart is used it refers to the centre of a person, to the core of a person’s identity. To sit and intimately talk to someone is to have a “heart to heart”….. A closeness that can connect you to others. Devotion to the Sacred Heart is the meeting of the very essence of God and to God’s most intimate identity.
Only the Heart of Christ who knows the depths of his Father’s love could reveal to us the abyss of his mercy in so simple and beautiful a way —-From the Catechism. P:1439
The heart is the hidden centre of a person. If we want to get to know someone they have to open up their heart to us, and this is what Jesus did when He appeared to St Margaret Mary Alacoque.
On December 27th 1673, Jesus appeared to St Margaret Mary for the first time when she was praying before the Blessed Sacrament. She described feeling herself, “wholly penetrated with that Divine Presence”.
Jesus spoke to her saying “My Divine Heart is so inflamed with love for men and for thee in particular that, being unable any longer to contain within itself the flames of its burning charity. It means to spread them abroad by thy means….. “Jesus had chosen her to help fulfill His message “I search for a victim of My Heart, someone who would want to sacrifice herself as an immolated host for the fulfillment of my designs.”
St Margaret Mary describes the vision in this way, “The divine Heart was represented to me as if on a throne of fire and flames it shed rays on every side brighter than the sun and transparent as crystal. The wound that he received on the cross appeared there visibly. A crown of thorns encircled the Divine Heart, and it was surmounted by a cross”.
God loves us so widely that He actually became one of us by opening up His heart to us. The mere fact that God has done this, inviting us into a personal intimate relationship with Him, gives us the first dimension of this devotion. We simply have to have the willingness to accept this invitation. The Sacred Heart Devotion shows us God’s longing to get close to us.
“In the pierced heart of the Crucified, God’s own heart is opened up; here we see who God is and what he is like. Heaven is no longer locked up. God has stepped out of his hiddenness” Pope Benedict
By consecrating the members of your household to the Sacred Heart and placing a statue or picture in your home to remind you everyday of Jesus’s desire to be close to us we have the chance to receive the full benefits of the Promises of the Sacred Heart.
Below are the 12 Promises. Place them in your home, close to your heart, so that all can know the gift that the love of Jesus will attain for them when they move closer to His Heart.
12 Promises of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
- I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life
- I will establish peace in their homes
- I will comfort them in all their afflictions
- I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all, in death
- I will bestow abundant blessings upon all their undertakings
- Sinners will find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy
- Lukewarm souls shall become fervent
- Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection
- I will bless every place in which an image of my Heart is exposed and honored
- I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts
- Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in my Heart
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months the grace of final perseverance; they shall not die in my disgrace, nor without receiving their sacraments. My divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.